Thursday, September 30, 2010

This Week at the Library

Yet another booger story. While I read a book this week, another sweet young thing was mining for gold and found a choice nugget. I saw her staring at it on the tip of her finger and was wondering if she was going to offer it to me. She had just started reaching toward me when the little girl next to her saw it and asked, "Is that yours?" Had to laugh again. Reading time was over and we jumped up and moved on to other things. Never saw what happened to the little prize.

Baby Time

We had a nice big group today. Two sisters who are married to identical twins came today with their babies. Does that mean their babies are genetically half siblings? Hmmmm. Got me curious.

It was great fun to have my niece join us with her new baby. We also had a dad come with his daughter. We're definitely not a "Mom and Baby" time, so be sure other dads know they're welcome!

Toddler Time

I hope you sing our songs and say our rhymes at home with your child sometimes. When your child memorizes these little bits it definitely promotes their reading readiness and helps their language development.

Our books were:

Three Little Kittens, by Lorianne Siomades. I was able to introduce rhyming words by having them repeat "kittens, mittens" a few times.
Fire Truck, by Peter Sis. I hope this book doesn't creep anyone out when Matt's body becomes a distorted, lopsided shape. Reminds me of Dr. Who for some reason. But the children had fun with the idea of a fire truck eating pancakes.

Preschool Storytime

The Farm was our theme this week, so of course we used the letter "f" to say our opening rhyme. I realize I've never posted the words to it, so here it is:

I wiggle my fingers.
I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders.
I wiggle my nose.
Now no more wiggles are left in me,
And I will sit still,
As still as can be.

Our books were:

Book! Book! Book!, by Deborah Bruss. Of course, I love this one! Especially because it has an illustration of the Story Lady at Storytime!
The Very Busy Spider, by Eric Carle. Mr. Genius teaches how a spider spins a web and entertains with all the animal sounds.
Farmer Brown Shears His Sheep, by Teri Sloat. Here we learn about how a sheep's wool gets turned into sweaters, along with giggling at the naked sheep's tushy.
The Cow That Went Oink, by Bernard Most. This is a very hard book to read aloud, but it sure had the kids laughing.

The flannelboard story was "Tops and Bottoms" by Janet Stevens. This is a Caldecott Honor book, so be sure to check out the book version and enjoy the illustrations.

No comments: