Friday, September 3, 2010

This Week at the Library

I realize I haven't been posting as much lately. My mind has been pretty occupied with getting my final manuscript to my editor. (It's so cool to be able to say that!) But it's almost finished, and the other weird feeling is knowing that for the first time in about three years, I won't be working on "And Then..." Well, actually I suppose in a few weeks time I'll get notes from the editor on all the changes I need to make, but that will be a whole new phase. I do have a couple of picture book ideas to work on, so on to the next big thing!

Baby Time

I tell the parents all the time that I'm really not just unimaginative when we do the same rhymes over and over. The repetition is for the sake of the babies. I'm already seeing recognition on the faces of those who have been coming regularly for several weeks. Big grins when we start a bouncy rhyme.

Toddler Time

Every once in a while the parents really get into singing along with songs like "Drive the Firetruck" or "Bounce Upon My Knees," and I just love it. It creates an amazing atmosphere of "Hey kids, we're all in this together with you!" And such good singers! It sounds like a choir!

Our books this week were:

No Biting, by Karen Katz. This author is a genius at baby books. This gets the non-violence message across in perfect toddler terms.

Eyes, Nose, Fingers and Toes, by Judy Hindley. The children were great at participating in this book. I always try to find a way to make books interactive with this age. It keeps them involved and interested.

Preschool Storytime

Our stories this week were about birthdays. I timed this theme so Storytime would land on my actual birthday this year. It was fun to tell the kids, "Guess what! Today is my real birthday!" Then a boy says, "How old are you?" When I told him I wasn't telling, another darling child said, "Sixty!" Sigh....

We got to read lots of short books:

When I Was Five, by Arthur Howard. A child's perspective on maturing.
Benny Bakes a Cake, by Eve Rice. I always feel so sorry for little Benny when his dog eats the birthday cake.
The Secret Birthday Message, by Eric Carle. What are those stories called? (Quick Google search.) A rebus! Yes, this story is told rebus-style, then uses shaped pages to unfold the mystery. Cool!
Happy Birthday, Mouse!, by Richard Fowler and David Wood. I think this counting story has a subtle message of being grateful for presents, even if you don't particular want or need them.
The Fairytale Cake, by Mark Sperring. This book manages to include a huge assortment of fairy tale, folk tale, and Mother Goose characters on the pages. More than I can identify!

I told the story of Little Gorilla, by Ruth Bornstein, on the flannelboard.

No comments: