Friday, September 10, 2010

This Week at the Library

It was great to see so many new faces this week! Many new moms, grandparents and kids trying out Storytime. If you're visiting this blog for the first time, and you're new to our programming, check out the postings under the labels "What Moms Do," "Participation," and the post "Which Storytime Should I Come To?" under the label "Preschool Storytime."

Toddler Time

I wondered how busy the different sessions would be this week with school starting. Thursday was huge! I guess because some regular Tuesday folks were busy getting kids out the door so they bumped it to Thursday, but then again, there were lots of new faces. Welcome!

Our books this week were:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, by Bill Martin, Jr. They were really good at saying the repetitive lines!
No, David!, by David Shannon. Did you know this book is autobiographical? The author has a little snippet at the very beginning about that. Funny!

Baby Time

I saw two little babies "discover" each other for the first time. One just stared, rather transfixed. The other got so excited she flapped her arms and kicked her legs and squealed. They were so cute!

Preschool Storytime

We were all about "Bears" this week. We went on a "Bear Hunt" and traipsed through grass, mud, a river, a forest and a cave before spotting a bear. But WE WEREN'T AFRAID!

Our books were:

Where's My Teddy?, by Jez Alborough. I love the perfect poetry in this book. It flows so naturally and is so easy to read aloud. I've always admired that in children's books, and I wish I could do it!
Panda and Polar Bear, by Matthew J. Baek. This story has a very subtle lesson about insecurity at meeting new friends. Will he like me? Even when he finds out X or Y or Z about me?
Bear's Picture, by Daniel Pinkwater. I love this book because I imagine how frustrated children must be when adults can't figure out what the child's picture is OBVIOUSLY about. I also love the surprise ending.
Big Black Bear, by Wong Herbert Yee. I like the surprise ending here too, that "Big" black bear is really just a child bear misbehaving.

I told the story on the flannelboard of Kiss Good Night, by Amy Hest. Another bit of a surprise ending where the children have to figure out what the little bear is waiting for at bed time.

No comments: