Thursday, July 1, 2010

This Week at the Stinky Library

That was my big smile this week. A little boy wasn't real thrilled to be at Toddler Time. He hid in the chairs, and while we sang, he interjected his opinion, so it came out as:

Head, shoulders, knees and toes...STINKY!
Head, shoulders, knees and toes...STINKY!
Eyes and ears and STINKY! mouth and nose...STINKY!
Head, shoulders, knees and toes. STINKY!

He joined us eventually.

Preschool Storytime

We had stories about mice this week. Of course, we had to start with the beloved classic.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff. We even had the little mouse himself visit. He had a hard time sharing his cookie with me.
Inside Mouse, Outside Mouse, by Lindsay Barrett George. The interesting part of this book is following the inside and outside mice on facing pages.
Mouse Count, by Ellen Stoll Walsh. Ten mice, little, warm and tasty!
Mabela the Clever, by Margaret Read MacDonald. To be clever, look around you, listen, pay attention to what you are saying, and move FAST! Of course, it's also fun to shout Fo FENG!

I told the story "The Turnip" on the flannel board. No one could pull the giant turnip out of the ground until the little mouse helped. A good lesson for our little children.

Toddler Time

I pulled out "Skidamarink-a-dink-a-dink" again. Don't know why that disappeared for a while. If there's ever a rhyme or song I haven't done for a while, or that's your child's favorite, recommend it to me!

We read two all-time favorites this week.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle. I used my giant version of this book. The kids are getting pretty good at saying "But he was still hungry" with me.
Freight Train, by Donald Crews. A Caldecott winner for a good reason.

Baby Time

We did "Once There Was a King" with the babies today and they smiled. I had another mom say she wished she had known about Baby Time sooner, since her baby is already almost a year old. Please spread the word!

No comments: