Thursday, December 17, 2009

This Week at the Library

Baby Time

Our little babies are growing so fast! We get to watch each other's little ones finally sit up, start tracking the bubbles floating past, crawl, stand, until finally they graduate to Toddler Time. Moms share tips and trials along the way, even discover they're relatives! (Yes, that happened.) I see so many pregnant moms at Toddler Time, I hope you'll give Baby Time a try!

Toddler Time

We learned a couple of new rhymes today. (Actually, I just brought them back after a hiatus.)

Pretend

Now I'll be a lamppost, standing straight and tall.
Now I'll be a jellyfish. I can't stand up at all.
Now I'll be a kangaroo, hopping on the ground.
Now I'll be a spinning top, spinning round and round.
Now I'll be a monkey, climbing up a string.
Now I'll be just me. I can be anything!

I'm a Little Snowman
(Sung to "I'm a Little Teapot")

I'm a little snowman, short and fat.
Here is my broomstick.
Here is my hat.
When the sun comes out I melt away.
Down, down, down, down.
Whoops! I'm a puddle.

We read Machines at Work, by Byron Barton, and Cat's Colors, by Jane Cabrera.

Preschool Storytime

We got to learn the difference between a crocodile and an alligator this week. The simplest difference is in their teeth. An alligator has all of his lower teeth on the inside, while a crocodile has his lower teeth showing on the outside of his jaw, especially two big teeth like lower fangs.

We read:

Clarabella's Teeth, by An Vrombaut. Poor Clarabella takes ALL DAY to brush all those teeth and misses out on all the fun. Then her friends surprise her with a huge toothbrush.

There's an Alligator Under My Bed, by Mercer Mayer. This is like a sequel to There's a Nightmare in My Closet. The little boy decides to take care of that alligator once and for all.

Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile, by Won-Ldy Paye (no that's not a typo). So funny when Mrs. Chicken proves to the crocodile that she's her sister!

The flannelboard story was "The Monkey and the Crocodile" where the monkey is the smart one, and the crocodile is foolish. Then we sang "Five Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree" and the monkeys are the foolish ones. (Of course I can't use the "s" word....shhhh....you know - stupid)

The song goes like this:

Five Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree

Five little monkeys swinging in a tree
Teasing Mr. Crocodile
"You can't catch me. No you can't catch me."
Along comes Mr. Crocodile as quiet as can be
And SNAPS that monkey right out of that tree.

No comments: