Thursday, December 3, 2009

This Week at the Library

Preschool Storytime

"Bedtime" is one of my favorite themes. There are so many fun stories about bedtime, naptime, and all variations of wanting/not wanting to go to sleep. I could easily do an hour-and-a-half storytime with all the books I like, but I don't think the little ones would care for it. I did manage to get through six stories and two songs thought, so that was great.

Just Go To Bed, by Mercer Mayer - All the ways a child can avoid the inevitable.
Little Hoot, by Rosenthal - "Mom, can I PLEASE go to bed?" "No, not until you play for another hour." Hilarious.
Bye, Bye, Crib, by McGhee - The little guy thinks sleeping in a big bed is scary until his blankie and pillow lead the way.
Mortimer, by Munsch - Mortime drives everyone crazy with his bedtime singing.
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Yolen - The illustrations are definitely what make this book so appealing.

My flannelboard story was The Napping House, by Audrey Wood. The book is just as good. She's a master illustrator.

We sang 10 In a Bed and Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear from the "Wee Sing" CD.

If I'd had more time I would have read Good Night Moon (of course), Bedtime by Blos, Are You Ready For Bed by Saltzberg, The Bunnies are Not In Their Beds, by Russo (though I just read that for "Rabbits" week), No Nap, by Bunting. So many good books, so little time!

Toddler Time

I'm really looking forward to adding the new time in January. This week our Tuesday group was only about 18 kids and it was such a good sized group. I'm hoping they'll all be about that size.

One rhyme to add to the list is

There is Thunder (to the tune of Frere Jacques)

There is thunder
There is thunder
Here it roar
Here it roar
Pitter patter raindrops
Pitter patter raindrops
I'm all wet
I'm all wet

We read How Do I Put it On?, by Watanabe. They really got into the humor of seeing shoes on ears and hats on feet. And we read The Chick and the Duckling, by Ginsburg. I liked it today when the chick had sunk in the water, and the duckling pulled him out and said "I'm going for another swim." I asked the kids, "What will the chick say this time?" One girl said, "Cocka-doodle-doo." Makes sense, I guess!

Baby Time

I love baby laughter! Whether it's squeals, belly laughs or big grunts, it's so infectious.

We had some good talks on sibling rivalry today and shared a few good ideas.

No comments: