Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Week

I just had such a fun evening watching the neighborhood go by and handing out candy to scads of kids. This is the first year I haven't had a child go trick-or-treating, but we enjoyed handing out the goodies together. I wore the cow costume and moo-ed at the little ones who either laughed or stared at my udder. Only one child was brave enough to squeeze a teat.

With holiday season upon us - Halloween to Easter, nothing but candy! - you may wonder why I don't do holiday stories at the library, but I was asked long ago not to. They don't want to have to worry about offending the non-celebrators or making sure EVERY holiday gets equal time, so we just don't do holiday stories. I usually do "Monsters" or "Scary Things" right around Halloween, mostly to help the kids learn to deal with the scary thoughts, but they aren't actually Halloween stories. So speaking of monsters, here are the books we did last week:

Preschool Storytime


Go Away Big Green Monster, by Emberly. No one cried this year! Sometimes we get so loud at shouting "Go away!" that someone cries.
Little Monsters, by Pienkowski. This is the pop-up book. Cute!
There's a Nightmare in My Closet, by Mayer. A good one for those afraid of the dark.
No Such Thing, by Koller. One of my all time favorites! Kids identify with the children whose parents don't believe them. And I love how the monster and boy become friends, then play a trick on their mothers.

We acted out "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" and the performers did an outstanding job of trip-trapping over the bridge.

Toddler Time

I didn't introduce any new rhymes this week.

Baby Time

We sang a new song this week:

I Had a Little Mousie

I had a little mousie
Who wouldn't eat his cheese.
All he ever wanted to do
Was bounce upon my knees.

Bounce upon my knees,
Bounce upon my knees,
All he ever wanted to do
Was bounce upon my knees.

No comments: