Friday, December 3, 2010

This Week at the Library

So nice to see the crowds back after the holidays and ice!

Preschool Storytime

Our theme was "Chickens" and I got to read a new story that is SO much fun!

Interrupting Chicken, by David Ezra Stein. Reading this story aloud really brings out the dramatic side in me (not that it's ever very far from the surface!). I love the Papa's voice, trying so hard to be patient. I love little Chicken's voice, saving the day, then so apologetic. I need this book on my shelf!
The Wolf's Chicken Stew, by Keiko Kasza. I love surprise endings, too, and the hundred little chick kisses are adorable.
Chicken Chickens, by Valeri Gorbachev. Children relate so well to being afraid of the playground equipment. Most kids think it looks pretty scary from the top of a slide the first time. I could tell by the children's faces that they were totally into this book.
Hungry Hen, by Richard Waring. Another great surprise ending!
Rosie's Walk, by Pat Hutchins. A classic! It's fun to spice it up with Rosie walking "doo-dee-doo-dee-doo."

I told the story of the Little Red Hen on the flannelboard.

Toddler Time

I had a mother express her concern that her son was too disruptive because he didn't want to participate in everything going on in the program. For children new to Toddler Time, especially those for whom this is a first group experience, participation is something they'll grow into. The room is new, the crowd is new, the pictures on the walls are new, the view out the windows is new, and hey! look at those blinds! What happens if I hide behind them? They need to satisfy their curiosity about the room before they can concentrate on what I'm asking them to do. Of course, you will keep guiding them back to the circle, and model participation in a positive way, but don't think you have to stay home!

Our books were:

The Very Hungry Spider, by Eric Carle. They love feeling the spider web on the page!
Peek-a-Moo!, by Marie Torres Cimarusti. They thought it was pretty hysterical to say "Peek-a-Oink!"

Baby Time

Lots of babies! It's so awesome to see the rug covered with babies, and see them watch each other, make eye-contact, reach out, and smile at each other. We liked the book this week too. I Kissed the Baby, by Mary Murphy.

No comments: