Thursday, June 17, 2010

This Week at the Library

(Insert complaint about the weather here.)

Now that we have that taken care of, we can get back to business.

Preschool Storytime

"Bathtime" was our theme this week. We read:

Huggly Takes a Bath, by Tedd Arnold. This author is such a master! Huggly is the monster under the bed, and he explores the bathroom looking for snacks (toothpaste, soap) and plays in the slime pit (the bathtub) with the magic slime (bubble bath, shampoo, etc.). Very cute.
Bubble Bath Pirates, byJarrett Krosoczka. Two boys play pirates while Mom gives them a bath. The favorite part is where the boy runs off and leaves his towel in Mom's hands.
Dad's Car Wash, by Harry A. Sutherland. A boy and his dad pretend he's a car in a car wash while he takes a bath.
I Don't Want to Take a Bath!, by Julie Sykes. Little Tiger plays with all his friends and gets dirtier and dirtier, but refuses to take a bath.

I told the story "The Bath" on the flannelboard and we played a guessing game with the pieces. The kids closed their eyes while I removed a piece, then they tried to guess what was missing. Lots of fun!

Toddler Time

Well, since I had the bubble machine out for the preschoolers, I thought I'd give it a try with the toddlers. I had replaced the batteries so it made TONS of bubbles, and I figured if I spread the kids out and made lots of bubbles all over the space, it would be okay. It was fine on Tuesday, but Wednesday's group was huge, kids collided, tears were shed, and I don't think I'll do that again with a group so big. Too bad.

We read a couple of Eric Carle favorites - The Very Busy Spider, and From Head to Toe. I love books that get the kids up and moving. And I love how most of Eric Carle's books use a repeated sentence for the kids to master. "She was very busy spinning her web." "I can do it!" They really love it.

Baby Time

It's so much fun to see babies interact with each other. They're always fascinated. Even though they don't appear to be playing with each other, time spent with other babies is very important to their social development.

No comments: