Friday, June 11, 2010

This Week at the Library

Like my new look? Blogger came out with some new stuff and I got really excited when I saw this new background. Wish I could figure out a way to put my favorite titles on those books!

Preschool Storytime

Our theme was "Dragons" this week. I had fun with the storyprop for Purple Hair? I Don't Care by Diane Young. I love the message (that probably only the parents get) of loving your baby no matter how he/she comes out.

We also read:

There's No Such Thing as a Dragon, by Jack Kent. Another great message for the adults, that ignoring an issue only makes it grow, but kids think this story is pretty funny.
The Best Pet of All, by David LaRochelle. A boy convinces his mom that a dog is the best pet by having a misbehaving dragon move in for a while.
The Paper Bag Princess, by Robert Munsch. I love the twist on the "prince rescues the princess from the dragon" story. Here, the princess rescues the prince, who tells her to go away and come back when she's cleaned up. She calls him a bum, and they don't get married after all. Pretty funny!
The Dragon's Cold, by John Talbot. I like the way the children are brave, resourceful and compassionate in this story. And they even convince the adults that there's nothing to be afraid of!

I showed the kids the pictures in a book called Where Did All the Dragons Go?, by Fay Robinson. The pictures are incredible, but the story is a little too slow for Storytime.

Toddler Time

Once again, I recommend coming at 9:30 on Tuesdays instead of 10:15. We had about a dozen kids at 9:30 last week, and over 40 at 10:15. Wednesday at 11:30 is the next smallest, so that's a good option too.

The stories were:

Cat's Colors, by Jane Cabrera. Oh the suspense!! Which color is Cat's favorite?
Dear Zoo, by Rod Campbell. This book is so fun! Pop-ups are always a hit, but I love the repeating phrase "I sent him back!" The little ones who can barely say three words together are encouraged to try such a simple sentence. I see the looks of satisfied accomplishment when they figure it out. It's also cute to see how emphatic they are.

Baby Time

Keep recommending Baby Time to your friends with babies! There's plenty of room. It's kind of funny how one week we'll have to scoot to make room for everyone, then the next week we only have three! I guess it's the nature of having a baby - you never know how your day is going to go.

No comments: