Thursday, April 1, 2010

This Week at the Library

Ha! I managed to be on time this week!

Preschool Storytime

However, I could say that our theme at Preschool Storytime was a couple of weeks late. It was "Green Things." Of course, I would have liked to have done this closer to St. Patrick's Day, but I guess I didn't request the storykit early enough and someone else had dibs on it. The stories are still a lot of fun and worth it even if the holiday is long past.

The Aminal, by Lorna Balian. This is the literary version of the telephone game.

Scarlette Beane, by Karen Wallace. Now that's what I call a green thumb! Love the vegetable castle!

Anna and the Little Green Dragon, by Klaus Baumgart. I didn't get to this one on Wednesday. Check it out if you came that day. He's a very naughty dragon and you don't find out he's just a baby til the very end.

I did Picky Mrs. Pickle, by Christine Schneider on the flannel board. I always debate whether to do the flannel version or the book. The book has such great illustrations with so much detail that adds to the story, but of course the multi-media technique is always a welcome variation. Please check this one out of the library so you can enjoy the pictures - like Mrs. Pickle vacuuming the lawn.

We also learned to tell the story of the Wide-Mouthed Frog. This is a fantastic educational activity! Your child must sequence the story, memorize parts and use characterization in his/her voice. These are wonderful public speaking skills, and it's never to early to start working on it! I'll put a quick version down here for you so you can help your child practice.

The Wide-Mouthed Frog

"I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies," said the wide-mouthed frog. He hopped along until he met a blue-feathered bird. "I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies. What do you eat, bird?"

"I eat juicy slugs and snails," said the blue-feathered bird.

He hopped along until he met a furry brown mouse. "I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies. What do you eat, mouse?"

"I eat crunchy seeds and juicy berries," said the mouse.

He hopped along until he met an alligator. "I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies. What do you eat, alligator?"

"I eat delicious wide-mouthed frogs," said the alligator.

The frog scrunched his mouth up as small as could be and said, "Oh, is that so?" And he hopped into the water with a splash!

Toddler Time

I absolutely loved it when the Wednesday kids lay down on the floor at the end of "Five Little Monkeys" and pretended to be the monkeys who fell off the bed! So cute!

We read:

Come Along, Daisy!, by Jane Simmons. This is a great book for you parents who have kids who don't "stay close."

Sometimes It Looked Like Spilt Milk, by Charles Shaw. They like guessing the pictures, and the challenge to say "But it wasn't a rabbit/squirrel/birthday cake, etc. is good language practice for the littlest ones.

Baby Time

One thing I love about Baby Time is the chance for new moms to connect with each other, and to welcome new residents to Sherwood. That was our privilege this week when we got to extol the virtues of Snyder Park, the Robin Hood Festival and MudPuddles Toy store.

No comments: