Thursday, April 29, 2010

This Week at the Library

I have to admit that Tuesday I was a little off my game - too sleep-deprived and muddle-headed. But still, it was wonderful to see my little friends after two weeks.

Preschool Storytime

Our theme was "Food" this week. And here's another admission: Like I said, I was muddle-headed on Tuesday. A couple of the books I read I had taken from the library shelves instead of a storykit, so after Storytime I checked them out and took them to my car. Instead of leaving them in my car, I took them into my house. Can you see this coming a mile away? On Wednesday, I left for the library, looked in my closet for my books, and lo and behold, I was missing two! Where could they possibly be?! Oh yeah, at home. Quick! Plan B.

So if you see books on this list that you didn't hear, that's why.

Eat Up Gemma, by Sarah Hayes. Little Gemma won't eat until her brother finds the solution.
The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear, by Don Wood. This is a huge favorite. The illustrations always make the kids giggle.
Duck Soup, by Jackie Urbanovic. Duck's friends think he fell in the soup pot!
Little Pea, by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Oh no! Little Pea won't eat his candy. No spinach for him!
Yummers!, by James Marshall. Emily pig has a tummy ache. Must be all that exercise, not the massive quantities of food she ate.
Bunny Cakes, by Rosemary Wells. How does Max write "Red Hot Marshmallow Squirters"? And will Grandma eat the earthworm birthday cake with caterpillar icing?
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff. Just a simple cookie, that's all.

The flannelboard story was our old favorite The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle. The kids were so expressive when they said "But he was still hungry!"

We sang the story "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". In case you can't remember, the order of the animals is: fly, spider (that wiggles and jiggled and tickled inside her), bird, cat, dog, goat, cow, horse.

We also did the fingerplay "Way Up High" that you can find in the labels to the right.

Toddler Time

I'm seeing lots of new faces lately! Welcome to you all!

Our books this week were:

Pete's a Pizza, by William Steig. Sometimes the kids laugh, other times they are deadly serious. I think they're trying to figure out if Pete really is a pizza.
Dinosaur Roar, by Paul Stickland. Always a hit. There's just something about dinosaurs that grabs them every time.

Baby Time

Lots of big brothers and sisters today, which is fine. We give them toys on the other side of the room, or stuffed animals to use as their own "babies".

If you hear of a rhyme or song you'd like us to do at Baby Time, please suggest it to me. I'd love to include it!

No comments: