Thursday, February 4, 2010

This Week at the Library

Yay! I'm a little more on time this week.

Preschool Storytime

Our theme this week was "Dogs" and I could have read so many stories. I chose a few of my favorites, and they were:

Just Dog, by Hiawyn Oram. We laughed about the names "Pudding Face" and "Sugarpops" for a dog.
Can I Be Good?, by Livingston Taylor. I told the kids that I say to my dog, Harley, that he's so good - MOST of the time.
The Stray Dog, by Marc Simont. We learned what "stray" meant and what a dog catcher is.
Dog Blue, by Polly Dunbar. The boy who loves blue and loves dogs decides the beautiful black and white dog will just have to be named "Blue".

I told the story Bark, George, by Jules Feiffer, with a stuffed dog and some beanies. It's funny how some stories make kids absolutely laugh hysterically, while a child sitting next to them barely cracks a smile. Humor is subjective.

On Wednesday we also did the fingerplay "Three Little Kittens" about the kittens and puppies. You can find it in the labels on the right.

Toddler Time

I'm glad to see the 9:30 Tuesday class growing. The classes have seemed a little less crowded on the other days. We did a rhyme we haven't done in quite a while:

Walking, Walking
(to the tune of "Frere Jacques")

Walking, walking
Walking,walking
Hop, hop, hop
Hop, hop, hop
Running, running, running
Running, running, running
Now let's stop.
Now let's stop.

We read Here Come Poppy and Max, by Lindsey Gardiner. That's a fun book because we get to get up and move while we read it. We also read Where's Spot? by Eric Hill. You can always tell who has the book at home because when I ask "Will we find Spot on the next page?" someone says "No, it's a monkey," which kind of blows the suspense. ;-)

Baby Time

Today our board book was Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin, Jr. This is a great example of a book to grow with. It has large, bright, simple pictures for small babies. It teaches colors and animal names for the older ones. And the repetition is easy to learn for preschoolers so you can "share" reading it. The child says "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?" And you can answer "I see a red bird looking at me." Then the child asks again "Red bird, red bird, what do you see?" And so on. Then around kindergarten age, the simple repeating and predictable text becomes something your child can actually learn to read on his own. A wonderful book!

1 comment:

Strauss House said...

We love your book recommendations and also were wondering where you find the music for toddler time? My son loves the Animal Action song and the Freeze songs, etc. Maybe you could post about those sometime?

Every week is a GREAT time - thank you!

Mindy (Cade and baby Anya's mommy)