Thursday, June 23, 2011

This Week at the Library

There were some real sweethearts at the library this week. I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and a hug and a kiss in the middle of my belly - the poor little guy couldn't reach my cheek. Also, at Preschool Storytime, right after I announced to the parents that my book was out and was available for purchase, one little guy (the one who showed me his Spiderman underpants) said, "I want one!" He jumped up, grabbed a book off the table, and took it back to his seat. How adorable!

Preschool Storytime

I love summer when I get to see my old friends who abandoned me for school! (How could they?)

We were all about rabbits this week. We sang "Little Bunny Foo Foo," and did the "What Am I" fingerplay. We read:

A Boy and His Bunny, by Sean Bryan. On Wednesday I managed to read the whole book with a bunny on my head. It's a very silly book.

Daley B., by Jon Blake. Daley B. decides to live in a tree and eat acorns, but finally learns what he is when a weasel wants to eat him. He also learns his big feet are useful!

Dance Away, by George Shannon. We really had fun doing our little "Left, two, three, kick!" dance.

Henry and the Red Stripes, by Eileen Christelow. I loved the grins on the children's faces when I told them Henry painted red stripes all over himself. I could tell they thought that looked like fun.

Toddler Time

Pretty small groups this week. I think lots of people are on vacation or staying home with grade school kids. But it meant we could blow bubbles without collisions and bumped heads, and children could have two noisemakers for "The Ants Go Marching."

We tried a new fingerplay this week. It has two stanzas, which I figured out right away was too long. I've shortened it down to this:

Tippy Tippy Tiptoe

Tippy, tippy, tiptoe, girls and boys.
Tippy, tippy, tiptoe, don't make noise.
Tippy, tippy, tiptoe through the house.
Tippy, tippy, tiptoe, like a mouse.

We read:

Good Morning, Sam, by Marie-Louise Gay. This one is borderline for two-year-olds, but the three's like it.

Where's Spot?, by Eric Hill. They really get into the suspense of this, and cheer when we finally find him.

Baby Time

No lack of babies this week! We had a great crowd: itty bitty babies, and walkers intent on exploring the room instead of sitting on Mom's lap. We read Where Is Baby's Belly Button, by Karen Katz. She really has a corner on the market for baby books. She's great!

No comments: