Thursday, April 28, 2011

This Week at the Library

A pretty calm week. I'm afraid I don't have any super stories. There seemed to be several kids enjoying dressing up this week - three Superman outfits, a princess or two. I got lots of hugs and a few cute conversations. They're always the high point of my day.

Toddler Time

We pulled out the "What Am I?" fingerplay. I don't see it in the labels. Have I not done it in that long? Here are the words:

What Am I?

I have two long ears and a fluffy tail,
And I like to wiggle my nose.
Carrots are my favorite food,
And I hop wherever I go.
What am I?

Our books were:

Machines At Work, by Byron Barton. A couple of brothers had this book at home and could have read the book for me.
Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown. LOTS of children have this book at home. We had fun saying good night to the mouse, the mush and the quiet old lady whispering "Hush."

Preschool Storytime

Our theme this week was "Eggs." I figured the week after Easter was a good time for them to enjoy this theme. I pulled out a little poster of "See Through Eggs" that I got when I was teaching kindergarten back in the stone age (pre-technology in the classroom). From the front, you see all kinds of bird and reptile eggs, life size and in true color. When you hold the page up to the light, you can see what kind of animal hatches out of it. The kids were quite impressed.

Our books were:

The Golden Egg Book, by Margaret Wise Brown. This book was written in 1947, but is still captivating. When I closed it, one child said, "I like that book!"

Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs, by Janet Stoeke. Minerva is becoming an old friend of ours. We love seeing what silly ideas she'll come up with next.

Eggday, by Joyce Dunbar. Horse eggs, pig eggs, and goat eggs. Pretty funny.

I told the story The Most Wonderful Egg in the World, by Helme Heine, with the storyprops. I get such a kick out of pulling those eggs out of Dotty, Stalky and Plumy.

Baby Time

More babies learning to walk! And new babies getting started with our Baby Time. It goes SO fast. I saw a comic strip (Zits, I think) use one of my favorite unattributed quotes: The days are long, but the years are short.

Our book was Eyes, Nose, Toes Peekaboo, by DK Publishing. It held their attention pretty well.

No comments: