Monday, January 31, 2011

That Was So Much Fun!

I'm sure everyone who attended our Symphony Storytimes had just as much fun as I had. Gordon Rencher, percussionist with the Oregon Symphony, brought all sorts of drums, shakers, scrapers and noisemakers to entertain the kids, and did an excellent job at that!

We started off the program with Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, by Al Perkins. Gordon showed us the snare drum, how the coil under it produced the snare sound, and how using brushes instead of sticks changes the effect.

Then he moved to the congas for Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, by Eileen Christelow. We all got up to jump around along with the monkeys.

Gordon brought out the steel drum and showed us how it's made and played along with us while we did one of our favorite wiggle-busters "Clap Your Hands, Touch Your Toes." We did it faster and faster while he tried to keep up with us.

Finally, Gordon used the big bass drum to accompany Tanka Tanka Skunk!, by Steve Webb. We did this one faster and faster too, and it really got me riled up, trying to keep up with Gordon!

The kids all got to pound, hit, shake and scrape the percussion instruments to their hearts' content afterwards, and all thought the occasion was a great success.

Thank you to the Oregon Symphony!

Preschool Storytime (Tuesday)

On Tuesday we had storytime about "Snow." Too bad we didn't have any of the real stuff for illustration. We read:

The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats. Willie learns to make fun footprints in the snow, whack snow off branches, make snow angels, and that snowballs don't last when you keep them in your pockets at home.

The Biggest Best Snowman, by Margery Cuyler. Little Nell proves to BIG Mama and her BIG sisters that she can do BIG things!

A Hat For Minerva Louise, by Janet Morgan Stoeke. Our favorite small-brained hen looks for a hat, or two.

Snowmen At Night, by Caralyn Buehner. A fun take on why your snowman looks so lumpy and tired in the morning.

With the flannelboard, I asked the kids to tell me how to make a snowman. Then I used my snowman pieces to build a snowman exactly the way they told me to. The results were hilarious. They quickly learned to be very precise with their words, which was my goal all along.

We also sang "I'm A Little Snowman" to the tune of "I'm A Little Teapot."

Toddler Time

We did some real favorites this week - "Animal Action" with Greg & Steve, "Hot Potato," also known as the William Tell Overture, and some favorite books.

Spot Goes to the Park, by Eric Hill. I appreciate how much self-control it takes for these little ones to stay on their bottoms when that flap on the page is begging to be lifted!

Rosie's Walk, by Pat Hutchins. Doo-dee-doo-dee-doo, Rosie never sees the fox!

Baby Time

No Baby Time this week, as I was in Palm Springs coming down with a stomach virus! Today I'm just hoping I'll be ready for Tuesday's programs!

No comments: