Thursday, May 27, 2010

This Week at the Liberry

Please forgive my slacker-ness. I just didn't get around to posting like I usually do. I need one of those round tuits.

Baby Time

The question came up today about when to "graduate" from Baby Time to Toddler Time. Once your "baby" is walking and not very interested in sitting in your lap any more, you can go ahead and take him/her to Toddler Time and see how it goes. Maybe your toddler will be a little overwhelmed at 12-13 months, or maybe he/she will absolutely love it. I'm sorry there's a little age gap between Baby Time and Toddler Time. Some children have gone easily from one to the other, but some need a couple more months to be ready for the activity level and crowd of Toddler Time. It's up to you - I'm fine with whatever works for you.

Toddler Time

I managed to use the bubble machine this week since the numbers have been down a little lately (except for Tuesday at 10:15 - that was crowded again). We managed to play with bubbles without any serious collisions, so I think a good time was had by all.

We read:
Duckie's Rainbow, by Frances Barry. The shapes and layered pages are entertaining. I just wish it had said "purple" instead of "indigo" and "violet".
Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown. Such a wonderful classic! I told the kids I hoped they wouldn't fall asleep while I read it to them. When I was done, I asked them if they had fallen asleep. Several said yes, and one girl said "And I was snoring!"

Preschool Storytime

Our theme was "Dinosaurs", and if there's any subject that gets the kids excited, it's dinosaurs! They just can't contain themselves and have to tell me their favorite dinosaurs and all the interesting facts they know about the T Rex or Triceratops. Our books were:

Whatever Happened to the Dinosaurs, by Bernard Most. They thought this was pretty funny - the dinosaurs on Mars or sneaking around while they're asleep.
Dinosaur Roar!, by Paul Stickland. A good book for introducing opposites.
Dinosaurs, A Scholastic First Discovery Book, by Gallimard Jeunesse. I paraphrased this book while we looked at the cool transparent layering pages.
Big Book of Dinosaurs, by Angela Wilkes. This is the Dorling Kindersley book. Nice and big with very cool pictures.
Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs, by Ian Whybrow. Harry loves his bucketful of dinosaur toys, especially because he knows all their names!

No comments: